Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Bacon-Wrapped Chicken Breasts with Chile Cheese Sauce

Finally I am doing what I should be doing and having fun cooking. Tonight’s menu comes from the Dean’s Brother’s cookbook. It makes 4 servings, but I roughly followed the directions.
Ingredients:
8 slices of bacon
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut in half lengthwise (making 8 pieces) I had only 2, but they were huge so I did cut in 8 pieces based on the baking directions.
1 10.75-oz can condensed cheddar cheese soup
1/3 C milk
1 t chopped canned chipotle peppers
Dash Worcestershire sauce
Ingredients:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with non-stick aluminum foil; set aside.
2. Wrap a slice of bacon around each piece of chicken and place on the baking sheet.
3. Bake about 20 minutes or until cooked through.
4. Remove the chicken from the oven. (I did this, but any fat on the baking sheet, pour off.)
5. Actually I did this first, but not this way, in a saucepan; bring the soup, milk, chipotle pepper, and Worcestershire to a simmer over medium heat. Turn off heat; cover to keep sauce warm. (I did not use store bought soup as it is filled with salt. I put 2 T of butter in a pan and added 2 T of wonder flour and cooked for 1 minute. I added 1C of skim milk and cooked over low heat until thick and added 1 C cheddar cheese, ¼ t salt, pepper, hot pepper sauce and Worcestershire.   I stirred until melted and kept on low heat.
6. Broil the chicken 4 to 5 inches from heat for 1 to 2 minutes or until the bacon is really sizzling. Before you do this be sure to get rid of all the baking juice as we had a very smoke filled kitchen.
7. Serve chicken topped with the cheese sauce.
I served garlic mashed potatoes and a salad with this meal. Jim really liked it but was really pissed at me for all the smoke in the house. Had to disable the smoke detector and open the doors. What can I say, you win some and you lose some. I did say I was sorry that I made him a meal and he did calm down.

No comments:

Post a Comment