Friday, September 23, 2011

Crisp Fall Veggie Salad

I did not write last night as I didn’t really “make” the meal. I wanted to have spaghetti and meatballs. I had Adele Italian meatballs, whole wheat pasta, and spinach; bought Vodka Sauce. I could tell it was going to be way too much for 2 so I called Jim’s cousin. They were going to their grandson’s football game so it worked perfect to come here after to eat dinner. I had a loaf of Costco French bread in the freezer and took a stick of butter and melted with 5 cloves of garlic. I spread on the bread halves with herbs d’Provence and salt and pepper. Broiled for a few minutes to brown the top and served. Jim served a Zinfandel by Opolo Vineyards that we all thought was great. It is from Paso Robles. I had Manchego cheese with Rosemary Croccantini crackers waiting for arrival and just set out some dark chocolate pomegranate treats for finishing the wine after dinner. Easy and fun entertaining isn’t that what life is all about?
Today we met with yet another builder. So we had an easy dinner, but it was very good. I cooked boneless pork chops with Marion’s secret rub. Marion gave me the secret recipe when I moved to CA and made me promise not to disclose. It is the best rub and we love it on Pork chops. If you read this and really want it, I will clear with Marion and put on the blog. I also had sweet potato fries in the freezer and fixed the following great winter salad from Penzeys catalogue. During dinner I felt I was in a George Carlin routine. Jim asked, “Did you mix these vegetables or did they come from a bag?” No I mixed these vegetables. “Why do you call it a salad?” Well, it is cold and the recipe called it a salad. It was really good, but it was a vegetable and Jim was trying to say is there a reason I have to eat it. So here it is serves 6.
Ingredients:
1 ½ C corn kernels (I used frozen)
½ C peas (frozen)
½ C sliced carrots
½ C grape tomatoes cut in half
½ C chopped green peppers
½ C cucumber, chopped
¼ C red onion (I had Vidalia and used that)
Directions:
Yes, this is a pain to chop, but I thought worth it.
Ingredients for dressing:
1 t Buttermilk Ranch Dressing Mix from Penzeys
¼ t Dill weed
1 t water
2 T mayonnaise
2 T buttermilk (I used Greek yogurt)
Directions:
1. Combine in a small bowl and then mix in with the vegetables
2. Let set under cover until serving for at least an hour.
Jim wanted a Pinot Noir with the pork chops. He served one from BearBoat, a Russian River Valley. Not the best I have had, but he said it was cheap. Sorry, no price on the bottle and we do not know what his definition of cheap is when it comes to wine. Other than wine, he "cheaps" like a bird.

No comments:

Post a Comment