Thursday, December 23, 2010

Tortellini with Italian Sausage, Fennel, and Mushrooms

I was leery about last night’s meal. I chose it as it had fennel in it. I love fennel. As I mentioned Jim did the shopping. The recipe called for spicy Italian sausage and he came home with hot. You all know by now how he reacts to anything on the spicy hot side. But it really was not hot at all. In fact he said, “I am really full, that was very good.” I started to clear the table and he said to wait he might have more, and he did. He kind of ruined the feeds 8. It fed 2 here with a little left over for lunch. I got this from the Fast and Easy section of the December, Bon Appétit.

Ingredients:
1T EVOO
1 large fennel bulb, trimmed, quartered, heart removed and sliced thin. Save some fronds for garnish
1# spicy Italian Sausages, casings removed, coarsely crumbled
1 8oz package sliced fresh cremini mushrooms, mine were small, I quartered them.
4 large garlic cloves, pressed or chopped
1 T fennel seeds, coarsely crushed
½ C heavy whipping cream
1C low-salt chicken broth
1 16 oz dried tortellini with pesto or fresh with cheese filling. (We could only find the cheese)
1 5 oz package fresh baby spinach leaves
½ C finely grated Parmesan cheese plus additional for serving.
Directions:

1. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add sliced fennel bulb, sausage, and mushrooms; sauté until sausage is brown and cooked through and fennel is almost tender, 12-15 minutes. I gave the sausage a head start; and then added the fennel and finally the mushrooms.
2. Add garlic and fennel seeds; stir one minute.
3. Stir in cream, then one cup of broth; boil until liquid is reduced and very slightly thickened, 2-3 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, cook in large pot of boiling salted water the pasta until just tender but still firm to bite, stirring occasionally. (Use package directions.)Drain and toss with the sausage mixture.
5. Add the spinach; toss gently until spinach wilts. Stir in the cheese and add more broth if needed. Sprinkle with chopped fennel fronds.
It said to season with salt and pepper at the end. That, to me was useless. I let Jim season his own meal with salt. I thought it was fine. He also added the extra cheese. If it had been the basil pesto, I would have added more cheese, but I thought it was cheesy enough.
Jim served a 2003 Viansa Cabernet. It was exceptional and probably all gone by now. Viansa makes great wines. Google them and join their wine club.
We finally got our Christmas letter out. Today I am wrapping and making goodies

No comments:

Post a Comment