Thursday, December 30, 2010

Mustard Green and Fontina Filo Pie

Let’s start with last night. We had vanilla ice cream and chocolate sorbet with the Pinot Noir Raspberry Sauce my brother sent me for Christmas. Heaven!
Tonight we are having leftover frozen pumpkin soup from earlier. My guess is that you can find the recipe under November or October. I will look for it as I have another fresh pumpkin and it was really good, even frozen and warmed up.
Tonight’s dinner came from December Sunset Magazine. It says serves 9, but maybe as an appetizer. We just had it with the pumpkin soup and have only 2 pieces left.
Ingredients:
2# mustard greens, thick ribs removed and chopped
1T EVOO
½ t salt
½ t pepper
¼ C melted unsalted butter
6 sheets filo dough, cut into 7 ½ “ squares to make 12
½# fontina cheese, shredded
Directions:
1. Cook greens in a large pot of boiling water until tender, 2 minutes and cool. (I used my pasta pot, and had the heat on low added the salt and pepper and stirred until soft. Drained in a colander in the sink until cool.)
2. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. After the greens were cool I squeezed with my hands until all the water was gone. Add the oil.
3. Spray an 8” square baking pan. Layer 6 squares of the pastry buttering in between each layer. Top with the greens and then the cheese. Repeat filo layering and buttering with the remaining sheets. Cut through all the layers into 9 squares.
4. Bake for 55 minutes until golden and crisp on the top.
Very colorful and delicious meal; do to the strong taste of the mustard greens, Jim served a Chianti Classico from La Lellera. It went very good with the meal.

1 comment: