Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Spinach Calzones with Blue Cheese

Today was grocery shopping day. Not too many people out. As our dinner was vegetarian, I started out Jim with rabbit pate that I bought in France along with some saga blue and special cheddar that I no longer remember why it is so special. If you go to Wegmans in Gainesville, ask Joanne about the special cheddar. Meanwhile I made the Calzones. I found this recipe on line from My Recipes. This recipe comes from Cooking Light, May 1999.
I have some ideas to make it better and I doubt it would add to the calories.
Ingredients:
1 (10 oz.) can of refrigerated pizza crust
Cooking spray
4 garlic cloves, minced
4 cups of spinach leaves
8 (1/8” thick) slices of sweet onion
1 1/3 C sliced mushrooms
¾ C (3 oz.) crumbled blue cheese. (I used gorgonzola.)
Directions:
1. Preheat overt to 425 degrees
2. Unroll the dough onto a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Cut into 4 quarters and pat each quarter into 6x5 inch pieces. (I rolled it evenly to 10 by 12 and cut with a pizza roller.)
3. Top each rectangle with 1C spinach, 2 onion slices, 1/3 C mushrooms and 3T cheese. (I would think the results would be better if I had taken the 5oz. package of spinach and lightly microwaved it and dived the entire amount onto the squares. Not enough veg. in the final.)
4. Bring 2 opposite corners to the center, pinching points to seal. Bring remaining 2 corners to center, pinching all points together to seal.
5. Bake for 12 minutes or until golden. Mine took 14 minutes.
Calories 297 each.
These were very good but could have used more spinach. Raw, it would be impossible to enclose any more spinach in the dough.
Jim served pizza wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment