Wednesday, January 16, 2013

White Balsamic Pork Chops, Rice and Artichokes


I thought I was going to cook a good dinner tonight.  I think I am losing my touch.  If you follow you will remember that I had a disaster with artichokes that I bought at Costco the other night.  I cooked them the same way I have cooked them for years.  So I went on the internet and pulled up a Tyler Florence recipe.  He should know what he is doing, right?  Well these were really bad artichokes, that looked perfect or neither of us know what we are doing.  He says they are done when a knife is inserted into the base and there is no resistance.  There was no resistance and the bottom leaves were hard as ----.
I also thought all the ingredients that he used would add flavor to the artichokes.  I have always used just water.  It did not.  But here it is.  If anyone has a good idea, please write.
Ingredients:
4 sprigs parsley
4 garlic cloves
2 bay leaves
2 lemons, cut in half
¼ C white wine
2 T EVOO
1 qt. chicken broth or water   
Salt and pepper, to taste (I added 1 ½ t salt and 1 t pepper to the broth)
2 whole artichokes
Directions:
1.       Put the parsley, garlic, bay leaves, lemons, wine, oil and broth in a large pot and bring to a simmer.  Season the liquid with salt and pepper. 
2.       In the meantime prepare the artichokes.  Wash artichokes under cold water.  Using a heavy stainless steel knife, cut off the stems close to the base.  Pull off the lower petals that are small and tough.  Cut off the top inch of the artichoke and rub with half a lemon to preserve the green color.  Trim the thorny tips of the petals with kitchen shears and also rub with lemon.   
3.       Place the artichokes in the steaming liquid, bottom up.  (I think this is wrong.) Cover and simmer for about 30 minutes. 
4.       The artichokes are done when a knife is inserted into the base and there is no resistance.  (Mine actually cooked longer than 30 minutes as I had trouble with the rice and the pork chops.)
The rice I bought at Trader Jo’s.  Sounded good, it is called Sprouted Rice and Quinoa Blend.  The directions said to boil the water and cook for 25 minutes or until the water was gone.  Try 60 minutes to get rid the water absorbed.  No matter the directions, I will make rice only my way.  Soak it for one hour with one cup rice to 1C and 1T water.  Bring to a boil, cover and turn off the heat for 10 minutes. 
Finally the pork chops.  I always have trouble getting them done and I like them pink or medium rare.  I am not sure where one gets skinny 1/2 “pork chops that the recipes call for.  I tried to compensate with the time and still did not get it right.  Maybe I need to butterfly my chops.  This recipe is from the December Fine Cooking magazine. 
Ingredients:
¼ C plus 1 T canola oil
¼ C white balsamic vinegar
3 medium cloves garlic, minced and mashed to a paste
1 ½ t minced fresh rosemary
1 ½ t crushed red pepper
4 ½” thick boneless pork chops (about 1 ½# total)
3 T cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
Directions:
1.       Marinate the pork.  In a shallow glass or ceramic dish wide enough to fit the pork chops in a layer.  Whisk the ¼ C oil with the vinegar, garlic, rosemary, and red pepper flakes. (I used the mini blender to grind up the garlic and rosemary to a paste.) Add the pork, turn to coat, and leave at room temperature, covered with plastic wrap, for about 20 minutes, turning once. 
2.       Remove the pork chops from the marinade and reserve the marinade. 
3.       Wipe the marinade off the chops and pat dry with paper towels.  Lightly season the pork with the salt and pepper on both sides.
4.       Heat the remaining 1T of oil in a skillet over medium heat until shimmering hot. 
5.       Add the pork chops in a single layer and cook, flipping once, until browned on both sides and slightly firm to the touch, about 6 minutes, total. (I did a total of 10 and they were raw after even letting them sent tented.  So I put them in the microwave.) Transfer the pork to a platter, cover and keep warm.  Discard any oil remaining in the skillet.
6.       Add the reserved marinade to the skillet and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, boil for 1 minute.  Lower the heat to low and shish in the butter.  As soon as the butter is melted remove from the heat and season with salt and pepper and pour the sauce over the pork. 
I thought the pork chops were dry the rice was boring and I have already complained about the artichokes.  The only saving grace was the wine.  It is called Evolution by Sokol Blosser Winery.  It is just called an American red, so I have no idea where it comes from, obviously blended, and very good.   

No comments:

Post a Comment