Sunday, May 20, 2012

Spicy Chicken Breasts


As we will soon be moving, again, I am trying to use up items in the freezer.  We only have 2 coolers and I have to empty the contents of 2 ref/freezer units.  So last night we also had chicken breasts.  I keep chicken breast on hand for if I am too tired to cook, I can send Jim out to the grille with them.  I have rubs and marinades, not home made, that are used in these instances.  But last night I wanted to do something special, but not too taxing.  This recipe is from Essential Pepin.  Jacque Pepin is probably my favorite, living, cookbook author.  His recipes never fail and are always delicious.  I should have doubled the dry marinade recipe as Costco Chicken breasts are very large.  However this dry marinade is easy and very tasty.  If I ever made anything twice, I would have this marinade as a go to dish.    
Ingredients:
½ t juniper berries
½ t coriander seeds
½ t mustard seeds
½ t salt
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 6 oz. each)
1 ½ T EVOO
Directions:
1.      Combine the first 3 ingredients in a small skillet and cook over medium-high heat for 2 minutes, or until lightly toasted.  (You will know it is time to stop when the coriander seeds start jumping.)
2.      Transfer the toasted spices to a spice grinder or coffee grinder, add the salt, and process for 20-30 seconds, until finely ground. 
3.      Sprinkle both sides of the chicken breasts with the spice mixture and rub it gently into the meat. 
4.      Brush the breasts on both sides with the olive oil. 
5.      From here I diverted.  Jacque does his on the stove finishing in the oven.  I sent them with Jim out to the grille. 
You can do steps 1-3 ahead of time.  We had the previously blogged Jell-O, corn on the cob, broccoli, and carrot sticks to round out this meal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment