Monday, May 28, 2012

Mini Peppers filled with Goat Cheese and Aspargus and Grilled Steak with Avocado and Red onion Salad


Yesterday was a busy day.  The painters finished in the new house and “broom clean” all but disappeared.  So we started with windows and floors.  I also cleaned the refrigerator and all the kitchen cabinets.  Jim put diazon granuals on the ground where Max will play, cleaned the patio and then helped inside.  We came home exhausted; showered and grilled tuna.  I made a salad and warmed some biscuits(frozen) that Jim and I drove all over Hendersonville to find a while back.  Having lunch with the ladies golf group, it was mentioned they were as good as homemade.  I’d have to say that the person who said that is not a biscuit maker.  Anyway, we did get a good bottle of wine; Smith & Hook, Cabernet Sauvignon, 2005, Central Coast, CA.
Today, Jim played in a tournament and I redrew the house plan and coordinated my art area with existing electrical, telephone, and floor vents.  I’d have to say that whoever laid out the HVAC vents almost 75% made my furniture arrangements difficult. 
Being a holiday, I decided to make a festive meal I found in the May Sunset magazine.  Jim was excited as it involved steak.  He was less than thrilled when he learned that it was kind of a soft taco meal.  This dish serves 4 unless Jim is around.  He mostly ate the steak as steak.  It was really good. 
Ingredients:
2 New York strip steaks (1 ½ # total)
4 T EVOO, divided
1 ½ t each kosher salt and pepper, divided (I used 1 T Chicago seasoning by Penzeys)
1 ½ t sweet smoked Spanish paprika
2 ripe avocados, sliced
½ each thinly sliced red onion and cilantro sprigs ( I used Italian parsley, I like a small amount of cilantro, but this was too much for me)
Juice of 1 lime
½ small jalapeno chile, seeded and very thinly sliced
Warm flour tortillas ( I cut in ¼ wedges) You could just tear as needed, but that would be too hard to explain to Jim.
Directions:    
1.      Heat grill to medium.  Brush steaks with 2T EVOO and season with 1 t each salt and pepper and the paprika.  Grill steaks until done the way you like, turning once for 10-12minutes. 
2.      Toss avocados in a large bowl with onion, cilantro, remaining 2 T EVOO, the lime juice, jalapeno, and remaining ½ t salt and pepper. 
3.      Slice steaks across the grain. 
4.      Serve the steak with salad and tortillas. 
I also made a hors d’orves.  This was also in Sunset magazine.  I think the photo in the magazine did not follow the recipe as written.  Mine were too wimpy and although they were delicious, company would have a hard time with them as they were too limp.  I will note below what I would change to serve this delicious appetizer.    
Ingredients:
8 sweet mini peppers or gypsy peppers, stemmed, cut in half lengthwise, and seeded
8 oz. asparagus spears, ends trimmed, chopped (don’t use thin, get thick ones as you end up with unattractive small pieces.  I also do not think you need a whole 8 oz.  Three half inch pieces per pepper looks good.  That is 48 pieces of asparagus.
2 T EVOO, divided
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 t chopped fresh rosemary leaves
½ t each kosher salt and pepper
Pinch of red chile flakes
½ C fresh goat cheese 
Directions: 
1.      Preheat broiler with rack set in top third of oven. 
2.      Toss peppers and asparagus in 1T oil and spread out on a rimmed baking sheet.  Broil, turning often, until starting to soften and brown slightly, 6 minutes. (Just warm the peppers slightly.  This was way too much and made the peppers too soft and they collapsed.  I’d be likely, next time, to just zap the peppers in the microwave for 1 minute.  The asparagus is nice broiled.  You could also just roast them.)
3.      Whirl garlic, rosemary, salt, pepper, chile flakes, and goat cheese in a food processor until just combined. 
4.      Spoon about 1T cheese mixture into each pepper half and top with asparagus.  Drizzle with remaining 1T oil. 
Jim served Hindsight, a Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon, 2009 with dinner.  He aerated it as the wine was young.  We are having watermelon and blueberries for dessert.    

No comments:

Post a Comment