Saturday, May 12, 2012

Grilled Tri-tip Beef, Roasted Potatoes & Beets, and French String Bean Salad


This is the best meal I have made in a long, long time.  The fact that it involves beef makes it even more amazing for me.  It all started with the fact that I had a 2# tri-tip beef in the freezer downstairs that needed to be used.  So I searched the internet and came up with the following.  It serves 4 and yes we have a lot left over. 
Ingredients:
2# tri-tip roast
1 t garlic powder
1 t onion powder
1 t ground black pepper
1 t salt
Directions:
I looked at the dry rub and said, I am going to use the spices that I put together for the Jazzy oven-oven baked chicken that I had seen on Dr. Oz.  I blogged previously about the spice mixture and thought it was rather strong for chicken.  On beef, it was perfect. 
1.      Lightly oil the cooking grate on your grill.  Preheat grill and prepare for indirect grilling. 
2.      Either combine the above ingredients or use the Jazzy spices.  Rub it over the surface of the roast. I took the roast out about an hour before grilling and rubbed the spices on the meat. 
3.      Place tri-tip on grill, fat side up.
4.      With the grill on low cook for about 1 hour or until the internal temperature reaches the temperature you desire to serve beef.  In our case it was 148 degrees.  Ours took a little over 1 hour as it was raining and cooling the grill. 
Next I had this Wegmans recipe I really wanted to us.  It was called Roasted Potatoes & Beets.  Since we don’t have a Wegmans, I had to improvise.  This is the improvised recipe.
Ingredients:
¾# baby Yukon Gold potatoes
3 beets
1T combined garlic and rosemary EVOO
Salt and pepper
Directions:
Earlier in the day roast the beets wrapped in aluminum foil in a 350 degree oven for an hour.  After roasting, open the foil and let cool.  Peel and cut into wedges approximately the size of the potatoes. 
1.      Preheat the oven to 450 degrees
2.      Toss the potatoes in a bowl with half the EVOO mixture.  Place in a heatproof pan and season with salt and pepper.
3.      Place in the oven for 20 minutes and they should be lightly brown. 
4.      Toss the beets with the remaining oil and season with salt and pepper.  Add to the pan with the roasting potatoes. 
5.      Roast for an additional 20 minutes.  Everything should be fork tender.
This dish was amazingly tasty. 
I decided to round out this meal with a green bean salad.  I found the perfect one in the Barefoot Countess’s How easy is that? I did not make the full recipe.  It serves 6
Ingredients:
Kosher salt
1 ½ # French string beans, trimmed
2 T Dijon mustard
2 T white wine vinegar
¼ t freshly ground black pepper
½ C EVOO
2 T minced fresh dill
Directions:
1.      Instead the whole boil the beans and then place in ice water, I microwaved the beans for 3 minutes. 
2.      In a small bowl, I mixed the dressing. I dressed the beans and set aside until ready to serve.  You only need about half the dressing.
The flavors of this meal together were amazing.  The heat on the meat was really good.  I have probably never enjoyed a piece of meat as much as I enjoyed this recipe. 
Jim served a C.J. Pask Cabernet Merlot, 1999 from New Zealand.   It went very well with the meal and mellowed in the glass.   

No comments:

Post a Comment