Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Meat Free Monday


I have another new cookbook.  It is called Meat Free Monday.  Do to time constraints, it got shifted to Tuesday.  I did not get the dessert made, but did the side and the dinner.  It is divided into seasons.  I am in spring until the weekend.   The side dish is Broiled Field Mushrooms and it serves 4.  I had Jim cook them on the grille. 
Ingredients:
8-12 large flat mushrooms, I used Portabella
6T EVOO
1 stem of fresh rosemary leaves
1 T balsamic vinegar
2 T red wine
1 small chopped onion
Salt and pepper
Directions:
1.      Clean any dirt of the mushrooms with a soft brush.  Remove the stems and discard. 
2.      Combine all the remaining ingredients for the marinade.
3.      Put the mushrooms on a large tray and pour the marinade over them.  Marinate for 30-45 minutes. 
4.      Preheat the broiler or grille.  Cook for 5 minutes on each side, brushing with the marinade juices.
The dinner course is Spring Vegetable Stew also for 4 servings. This was very good, but I am wondering what to do with the leftovers as reheating would turn the vegetable to mush and it would not be as good.  I think I will pour it all in a blender and turn it into a smooth vegetable soup.   I used my homemade vegetable stock.  It is a good stew, but would probably be better if you had access to these vegetables straight out of the garden. 
Ingredients:
1 T EVOO
2 T butter
2 shallots, chopped
1 fat garlic clove, crushed
3 C vegetable stock (I had to add more.)
1# baby new potatoes, scrubbed and halved if large (I halved mine)
12 baby carrots, halved lengthwise
8 baby zucchini, topped and tailed and chopped into large chunks
1 bunch asparagus, trimmed and sliced into 2” lengths on the dianonal
1 bunch scallions, trimmed and sliced into 2” lengths on the diagonal
1 C peas (I used frozen)
1 C edamame (I used frozen)
1 T freshly chopped tarragon (I used 1t dried)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
EVOO for drizzling (I skipped)
A handful of chopped flat-leaf parsley
Directions:
1.       Heat the EVOO and butter in a large sauté pan.  Add the chopped shallots and cook over medium heat until tender but not browned.  Add the crushed garlic and cook for further 30 seconds. 
2.       Add the vegetable stock to the pan and bring to a boil.  Boil for 5 minutes to reduce slightly. 
3.       Add the new potatoes.  Cook the potatoes for about 10 minutes until just tender.
4.       Meanwhile prepare the other vegetables. 
5.       Add the carrots to the pan and cook until al dente. 
6.       Add the zucchini, asparagus, scallions, peas, edamame, and tarragon, and cook fro a further couple of minutes until tender but still vibrant. 
7.       Season to taste with salt and pepper. 
8.       Ladle the stew into bowl, frizzle with EVOO if desired and scatter with parsley. 
9.       Serve immediately. 
I am going to try to make something out of this book each Monday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment