Thursday, March 17, 2011

Orzo Salad with Celery, Radishes, and Dill

Still emptying the freezer and am having fun doing it. Between my storage of pastas, rice, potatoes and beans, I just need to get veggies. So nice to walk in without a list and just buy what appeals at the moment, assuming that I can use them somehow. Last night we took out catfish and I made it the way I have described before soaked in buttermilk, dipped in cornmeal and sautéed in EVOO. I also parboiled some snap peas. The real winner was an Orzo salad from the March Bon Appetit. Keep this one on hand for summer picnics. It was delicious. It serves 8 as a side dish. I cut it in half easily and have more for tonight.
Ingredients:
2C orzo
1 ½ C very thinly sliced celery
1 pt. grape tomatoes, halved
1 bunch of radishes, trimmed, thinly sliced
2/3 C chopped fresh dill
5 T EVOO
4 T white balsamic vinegar
1 C (6 oz) crumbled soft fresh goat cheese
Directions:
1. Cook Orzo in large pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to bite. I did mine for 11 minutes and drained.
2. Put celery, tomatoes, radishes and dill in a large bowl.
3. Add cooled pasta.
4. Whisk oil and vinegar in small bowl. Season with salt and pepper and pour over the salad.
5. Fold in the goat cheese.
This is a great salad to have in the summer. Best pasta salad I have ever tasted.

No comments:

Post a Comment