Thursday, March 7, 2013

Lentil Soup


We got home from vacation yesterday.  We went to Phoenix to celebrate my brothers 60th birthday.  He lives outside of Chicago and we both thought, AZ in the winter was much better than the north.  Based on the weather we had verses Chicago last week, we made a really good decision.  We had a fabulous time, except for one day.  I played golf with Jim.  At the end, I asked him if he knew the Taylor Swift song that is titled; I am never, ever, never, never, ever, getting back together with you again.  He said yes, I said change some of the words to playing golf with you again!  And I mean it.  I will never, ever, never, never, ever, play golf with Jim again.  If we go somewhere, I will ask them to pair Jim with other a-holes on the course and fix me up with someone who knows how to have fun. 
Anyway coming home late, I had not planned dinner today, but had my eye on a recipe from Rachael Ray’s, My Year in Meals.  I did not have everything, but will let you know the substitutes and it was great.
Ingredients:
¼ C EVOO
¼ # speck, diced (this is a smoky pancetta, I used bacon)
1 onion finely chopped
2 carrots, finely chopped
1-2 ribs of celery with leafy tops, finely chopped (Did not have celery, so chopped up all the parsley left in the fridge.)
4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1-2 T thyme leaves, chopped (used 2 t dried)
1 large bay leaf
Leaves from 1-2 sprigs fresh rosemary, chopped (used 2 t dried)
Salt and pepper
3 T tomato paste
1 C dry white wine
4 C chicken stock
2 C water
1 ¼ C brown lentils
1 small bunch kale (I had a large container of fresh spinach, I used it.  I like kale, but not enough to run to the grocery store)
Freshly grated nutmeg
Directions:
1.       In a large soup pot, heat the EVOO, add the bacon, and render out the fat. 
2.       Add the onion, carrots, celery, garlic, rosemary, thyme, bay leaf and salt and pepper.  Partially cover and cook for 7 minutes. 
3.       Stir in the tomato paste and cook until fragrant.
4.       Deglaze with white wine and reduce one minute.
5.       Add the stock and water and bring to a boil.
6.       Add the lentils and cook to tender about 25-40 minutes. 
7.       Wilt in the kale, add a little nutmeg, and adjust salt and pepper.
I figured even though I did not have all the ingredients, RR is very loose.  I was right, this turned out very good.  It serves 4-6 and we actually have enough left over for one lunch serving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment