Monday, February 25, 2013

Sounds like Thanksgiving


This is probably unusual, but I looked in the freezer today and realized that a half a turkey breast has been there for a long time.  Defrosted and used Barefoot Contessa, How Easy Is That cookbook as a guide. 
She has a turkey recipe called Accidental Turkey.  It is for a whole turkey and I had ½ breast.  She also starts 2-3 days before.  I started this morning. So I defrosted it and before cooking warmed the oven to 450 degrees.  This half had one of the manufactured pop ups,so I watched for it to pop. I adapted the recipe as follows.
Ingredients: 
Half a turkey breast
Thyme
Butter
Salt and pepper
Directions:
1.       Heat the oven to 450 degrees.
2.       Slather the breast half with butter and then cover with salt, pepper and thyme. 
3.       Place in the oven for 30 minutes. 
4.       Reduce the oven to 325 and roast the turkey for approximately 45 minutes depending on the weight. 
5.       Remove and cover the breast for 20 minutes before covering. 
Jim said the turkey was outstanding.  I baked a very large sweet potato that we shared.  While the turkey was resting I increased the oven to 400 degrees and roasted some asparagus and a sliced yellow pepper.  Jim served a very young Zinfandel, but decanted it and it was great.  I think this coming Turkey Day I will try this recipe with a whole turkey. 
I know not too creative, but remember I served Jim tofu the night the club was serving prime rib.  I had to do something to get back in his good graces. 

No comments:

Post a Comment