Friday, February 8, 2013

Chicken and Shirataki Noodle Soup


We are having company for dinner tomorrow so I made dessert today.  I think it is a dream dessert, I will blog after we taste it.  Tonight I made another soup.  A friend once asked me what I like to make best and I answered soup.  It is forgiving and you can add anything that seems like an enhancement and it turns out good.  This soup was in the Tennessean.  It introduced Shirataki noodles.  They are made out of a type of sweet potato or tofu, so they are carb free.  If you love pasta and are diabetic, this is the noodle for you.  They are points free on Weight Watchers.  This also said it served 6 and Jim could only eat for 2. 
Ingredients: 
10 C reduced-sodium chicken broth (I used 4 C of my homemade vegetable broth)
2 C shredded carrots
1 large stalk celery, coarsely chopped
3 T minced fresh ginger (I keep my ginger in the freezer and it is so easy to mince frozen)
2 T minced garlic
3 (8 oz.) packages fettuccine-style Shirataki noodles, drained and well rinsed. (I only had 2, so I used 8 C. of stock)
4 C shredded cooked skinless chicken breast
3 T chopped fresh dill (didn’t have dill, I put fresh thyme twigs tied with string in the liquid while it cooked.  Removed before serving)
1 T lemon juice
Salt and pepper to taste
(I added sliced Savoy cabbage, shallots and scallions to the pot)
Directions:
1.       In a Dutch oven over medium heat, bring the broth to a boil. 
2.       Add the carrots, celery, ginger, garlic, onions, and cabbage.  (thyme if using) Cook uncovered, until the vegetables are tender, about 8-10 minutes.
3.       Add the Shirataki and chicken, and then simmer until the noodles are just hot, 2-3 minutes. 
4.       Stir in the lemon juice, then season with salt and pepper.  I used a t of pepper and 1 ½ t salt.
We loved the soup and I have put the remaining in the freezer for a busy day.  The noodles were great.  Jim could not tell the difference between them and regular pasta.  I am going to try them with pasta sauce.   

No comments:

Post a Comment