Monday, January 2, 2012

NYE Celebration


NYE!  We did not have to forget old acquaintances as they came to visit us. I really miss my friends and Linda and Mike came with cookies and candy, who could ask for anything more.  I think we had a great dinner.  I caught a terrible cold, so I am relying on hearsay.  I will start out with Paula Deen’s Foolproof Standing Rib Roast.  It really is foolproof and it will be my go to recipe for rib roast forever.  Her recipe says serves 6-8.  Well, Jim said we needed the whole size and the ends would be overdone and he wanted to have enough.  We did have plenty for 4 and have leftovers.
Ingredients:
1 (5 #) standing rib roast.  It is 4 ribs.  I had the butcher cut it off the bone and then tie it back on. 
1 T house seasoning (Paula Deen combo of salt, pepper and garlic powder)  I used Penzeys English Prime Rib Rub
Directions:
1.      Allow roast to stand at room temperature for at least 1hour
2.      Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Rub roast with the seasoning; place roast on a rack in the pan and with the rib side down and fatty side up. 
3.      Roast for 1 hour and turn off the oven.  Leave roast in oven but do no open oven door for 3 hours. 
4.      About 30-40 minutes before serving time turn oven to 35 degrees and reheat the roast.  Take it out and tent until ready to serve. 
This was so perfect.  At first I was worried, but I had the temp probe in the wrong place.  Actually, you don’t even need a temp probe.
The Orzo with Blue Cheese and Walnuts is a keeper for all.  6-8 servings.
Ingredients:
1 t salt
8 oz. Orzo
2 T butter
6 T grated Parmesan cheese
¼ C crumbled blue cheese
2 T toasted walnuts
Directions:
1.      In a large saucepan, bring 1 qt. water to a boil.  Add the salt and orzo and cook until orzo is tender and has absorbed almost all of the cooking liquid, 8-9 minutes.
2.      Stir in the butter, Parmesan and blue cheese and walnuts.
3.      Serve immediately. 
With this meal I microwaved very thin green beans from Costco with lemon EVOO, salt and pepper.
Jim served Chateau Duhart-Milon, Domaines, Barons de Rothschild (Lafite) 1994 and Groth, Napa Valley, Cabernet Sauvignon, 1994.  Both were excellent, but the Duhart-Miilon will live a lot longer, so I hope he has more.
The party started when Jo and her friends arrived.  We had dessert and champagne.  We had a Viansa Brute, Classico and Veuve Clicquot Ponsardin.  Linda N’s cookies and candy were a great hit.  Happy New Year 2012      

No comments:

Post a Comment