Saturday, January 21, 2012

Lighter Beef Chili


This is just what we needed on a cool night.  The recipe is from Everyday Cooking Light and is 221 calories per serving.  I made corn bread and served it with sliced scallions, sour cream, baked tortilla chips, and cheddar cheese.  It is 6 very large servings.  And yes, we have leftovers again.  I have to start learning to cut recipes in half.  I use Jiffy for my cornbread.  I think it is better than I have ever made from scratch.
Ingredients:
1 T vegetable oil
1 medium onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, chipped
Salt and ground pepper
2 T tomato paste
2 T chili powder
2 T unsweetened cocoa powder
1 # ground beef sirloin
2 (14.5 oz) cans diced tomatoes in juice
2 cans pinto beans, rinsed and drained (15.5 oz)
Directions:
1.      In a large saucepan heat the oil over medium heat.  Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring frequently until softened, 3-5 minutes.  Season with salt and pepper.
2.      Add tomato paste, chili powder, and cocoa powder.  Cook, stirring until mixture is fragrant, about 1 minute. 
3.      Add the beef and cook, breaking up meat with a spoon, until no longer pink.  3-5 minutes. 
4.      Add tomatoes, with juice, and beans.  Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce to a simmer and cook until chili is slightly thickened, 10-15 minutes.
5.      Can be kept warm until ready to serve. 
These are very hearty servings for such a light recipe.  With the amount of chili powder and cocoa, you could uses ground turkey.     

1 comment:

  1. Oddly, I made chili last night (with Turkey as I had not ground beef when I thought I did).

    Might give this a go, but I would give a go at halving it as it's just me. I've heard of cocoa in Chili but have never done a recipe that used it.

    ReplyDelete