Saturday, December 31, 2011

Company Breakfast


I made a delicious breakfast this AM.  We have company visiting from VA for NYE.  I started on it yesterday. 
First I thawed puff pastry and made little jelly pockets.  Froze them on a sheet pan and then put them in a plastic bag.  I baked them at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes.  I placed them on non-stick aluminum foil.  Good thing as the jelly oozed out all over.  However they were good and not too sweet.
Next I made a Sour Cream Coffee Cake from the Evergreen Beach Hotel Cookbook.  This is a bed and breakfast hotel in Wisconsin that Jim’s cousin visited this summer.  I got the cookbook for Christmas.
Ingredients:
1 C sugar
1 stick butter, room temperature
2 eggs
1 t vanilla
2 C flour
1 t baking soda
½ t baking powder
½ t salt
1 C sour cream
Topping:
1 C chopped pecans
½ C sugar
1 t cinnamon
Directions:
1.      Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease an 8x8 square pan.
2.      In a large bowl, cream together sugar and butter; beat in eggs and vanilla.  Mix in flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and sour cream.
3.      Combine topping ingredients in a small bowl. 
4.      Pour half of the batter into prepared pan and top with half of the topping.  Cover with remaining batter and top with remaining topping. 
5.      Bake 30-35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted into center comes out clean. 
6.      Cool cake for 10 minutes.  Loosen edges with a sharp knife and cut into 24 slices. 
I left it in the pan over night and served this morning.  My over took 20 minutes more.  The cake was delicious and not too sweet. 
So all I had left to do this morning was make the Scrambled Eggs with Smoked Salmon.  This is a Rachael Ray recipe and serves 6.  There were only 4 of us, but we will give the leftovers to Max for dinner. 
Ingredients:
¼ # sliced smoked salmon
12 eggs
½ C heavy cream
Salt and pepper
1 T butter
12 to 15 blades of chives, finely chopped. 
Directions:
1.      Chop the salmon into very small pieces.
2.      Whisk the eggs and cream together. 
3.      Melt butter in the pan and add the eggs. Scramble eggs with a wooden spoon.  When the eggs have come together but remain wet, stir in chopped salmon.  Cook to desired doneness and sprinkle with chives. 
I really liked this dish.  I added the pepper in, but not the salt as I was afraid of it being too salty from the smocked salmon.  It was fine.   

No comments:

Post a Comment