Tuesday, October 11, 2011

No Cream Creamy Corn Soup and Pork Chops

Saturday I had plenty of time so I made soup to go with our meal. I did not exactly follow the recipe as they wanted you to grill the veggies. I kind of winged it, but it tasted great. I got this out of the Sunday USA magazine Sept. 2-4,2011
Ingredients:
4C frozen corn, divided
1 large onion, peeled and sliced very thick
½ red bell pepper, stemmed and seeded
1 # new potatoes, halved
Salt and pepper
4 slices of bacon, chopped
1 t dried thyme leaves
1 QT chicken broth
2 T chopped fresh cilantro
Directions:
1. Warm a large soup kettle and add the bacon. Cook to mostly done to render the bacon. Add the onions, red bell pepper, ½ the corn and potatoes. Cook in the bacon grease.
2. Meanwhile grind the other 2 cups of corn in the food processor. Add some of the chicken broth. Then add it to the soup pan with the remaining broth, herbs, salt and pepper.
3. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 30 minutes.
I made this early in the day so I turned it off and then reheated for dinner. It says serves 6-8; as a whole dinner, maybe just 4. It was a very good and easy soup.
The main course came from Sunset Magazine. It was Cider-Brined Pork Chops with Sautéed Apples. I am not going to type the whole thing as you can go to the Sunset Magazine web site. Go to recipes and type in the title and it will come up for you. I know, as I could not find it in my magazines and looked it up on line. You have to start the day before, brining the chops, but it is easy and very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment