Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Baked Acorn Squash

Well, I should never have done as much as I did on Monday. I was in so much pain on Tuesday that I did not want to get out of bed. Jim ordered Chinese for dinner. Tonight we had last night’s dinner. We were just having boneless pork chops; I put Penzeys Barbeque 3000 on them. Unfortunately Jim overcooked them, so I had him eat them. We had left over Chinese to complete the meal.  This recipe comes from Williams Sonoma, Get Well.  I did accompany the pork chops with a great baked squash dish.
Ingredients:
Acorn squash, 2
EVOO 2 T
Salt and freshly ground pepper
Brown sugar, ¼ C firmly packed
Lemon juice, 1 ½ T
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Line a rimmed baking sheet with non-stick foil.
3. With a sharp knife, cut each squash in half longwise and scoop out seeks.
4. Cut each half into 1” wedges and place on a baking sheet.
5. Toss with EVOO to coat.
6. Spread evenly on sheet, cut side down.
7. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
8. Bake for 15 minutes.
9. Remove from oven and sprinkle with brown sugar. Return to oven and continue to baking until squash is tender and sugar has melted and begun to caramelize, about 10 minutes.
10. Drizzle squash with lemon juice and use a wide spatula to transfer wedges to a platter.
This recipe brought back childhood memories with fewer calories. My Aunt Tina planted Acorn Squash one year and had a plentiful amount. She came up with a recipe that had butter, brown sugar, and who knows what then invited the hundreds of brothers, sisters,, nieces and nephews over for squash dinner. I have flash backs of memory of the day. She was the sister of my mother who knew how to create fun event, even with squash. Too bad I am not more like her.

No comments:

Post a Comment