Saturday, October 8, 2011

Apple, Bacon and Cheddar Bread Pudding

Tonight’s recipe came to me from my sister-in-law from her daughter-in-law would found it on a Betty Crocker wed site. I have made many of these breakfast pudding meals over the years, but I cannot remember one with fruit in it. Michelle took this to a breakfast tailgate party for a Purdue football game. I decided to make this for dinner tonight as we don’t go to football games. I changed it up a little as it was dinner. I also cut it in half for just Jim and I.
Ingredients:
3T butter
3 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled and coarsely chopped 3C (I never use GS apples)
3T packed brown sugar
4 C cubed firm bread (I used whole wheat)
1 # bacon, cooked and chopped (I used Andouille sausage)
2C shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (8 oz)
2 ½ C milk
1 t ground mustard
2 t Worcestershire sauce
¼ t salt
1/8 t pepper
5 eggs
Directions:
1. Grease a 2 qt. casserole. In a 10” skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Cook apples in butter 2-3 minutes stirring occasionally, until crisp-tender. Stir in brown sugar; reduce heat to low. Cook 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until apples are tender.
2. Layer half each of the bread, bacon, apples and cheese in casserole. Repeat with remaining bread, bacon, apples and cheese.
3. Mix all remaining ingredients; pour over cheese. Cover tightly and refrigerate at least 2 hours but no longer than 24 hours.
4. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Bake uncovered 40-45 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before serving
12 servings
I am going to serve this for breakfast sometime when we have overnight guests. It was a very easy dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment