Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Bok Choy


I finally have been able to cook Bok Choy the way I like it.  In the Key to Chinese Cooking they have a step I have been ignoring. 
·         Separate the leaves of the Bok Choy and wash well. 
·         Bring 4 C of water to a boil and in a large saucepan with 1T of oil toss a generous pinch of baking soda in the water and swish to dissolve it. 
·         Shower in the bok choy leaves.  When the green brightens, in about 30 seconds, pour water and vegetables immediately into a colander to drain. 
·         Spray with cold water to stop the cooking.
Ingredients:
Bok Choy
Oil, peanut or vegetable
Baking soda
Sesame oil
Classic Stir-Fry Sauce (House of Tsang brand)
Cooking spray
Directions:
1.      Do the step as outlined above.
2.      Heat a wok over high heat until hot.  Spray with cooking spray or lightly oil the pot. 
3.      Add the drained bok choy to the pot.  Stir fry and after the water evaporates some, add the stir-fry sauce.  (I used about 1T of sauce for 8 baby bok choy)
4.      Toss to coat and finish cooking to the texture you desire.  Sprinkle a small amount of Sesame oil and serve
We both liked the vegetable done this way.  They were bright green and delicious.
Today I threw away the history of cooking in America.  Every Food and Wine and Bon Appetite is now landfill.  I cried the entire time as I looked at each one.  I kept an issue on Paris, one on Tuscany and my favorite that describes a Mediterranean Cruise I hope to take some day.  I found some January issues labeled the best of the year.  I kept them to scan more carefully.  I have to say that many old covers had elegant desserts and dish displays that I believe we will never see again.  Recent magazines seem to cater to fast and easy.  Downsizing is hell.  Jim threw away a wreath that I made with pinecones from my Grandma’s house in Southern IL.  I spent many a summer out near these trees.  My grandfather had made a bench that spanned the trees.  No fans, no AC we gathered under the pine trees for relief for the summer heat.        

No comments:

Post a Comment