Friday, June 22, 2012

Mozzarella Pasta


I am so busy I think I am not paying close attention to everything I should.  We arrived back from the wedding and vacation yesterday.  This AM I made up quick menus and a shopping list.  Stored the groceries and then took off for the new house.  I made a recipe from Meatless Monday again.  It looked easy and easy was what I needed today.  I started making it and I looked under the heading and it said Twiggy.  Twiggy, what does that mean?  Suddenly I got it, English published cookbook, vegetarian, forward by Paul of John, Paul, George and Ringo fame.  This recipe comes from the English model that made those of us in High School at the time feel like moose when we were actually very normal.  It didn’t taste bad, but I think Twiggy could use a few cooking lessons.  This is said to serve two.
Ingredients: 
6 oz penne rigate (I used whole wheat)
14 oz can plum tomatoes
2 T EVOO
1 C freshly grated Parmesan
2 T freshly chopped basil leaves
Salt and freshly ground pepper
6 oz mozzarella, diced (In hind sight, shred)
Directions:
1.      Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2.      Cook the pasta in boiling water according to pkg. directions. 
3.      Meanwhile heat the oil and tomatoes in a pan, breaking down the tomatoes gently with a wooden spoon.  (This part made Twiggy feel like she was cooking.)
4.      Add half the Parmesan and all the basil.  Bring to a boil and remove from the heat. 
5.      Drain pasta and place in an ovenproof dish. 
6.      Pour the sauce over the pasta and stir through the diced mozzarella.  (I took diced literally and ended up with gigantic clumps of goo (cheese) in the dish.)
7.      Sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan and place in the preheated oven for 10 minutes until the cheese is golden.
8.      Serve immediately. 
Well, the pasta slides around and the cheese was like gigantic clumps.  If I was three and had the experience of a three year old, I would have really liked it.           

No comments:

Post a Comment