Sunday, June 10, 2012

Chocolate Chunk Brownies


This was the once a year member guest weekend that is common to the last two golf clubs we belong to.  Jim and my brother always play.  The first year at Piedmont their flight; came in second another year and tied another.  Last year, their first in TN, they came in last and I mean really dead last.  This year I was told, we were not last.  Story ends.  Arrival night was simple as we didn’t really know what time we would be eating.  I used the Louisiana/Dr. OZ chicken rub that I blogged about earlier.  We grilled instead of baked and this time we liked it.  God thing as we do have a lifetime supply.  I microwaved asparagus with lemon EVOO on it.  I also microwaved green beans, but sautéed mushrooms to go over them.  I bought a loaf of multi grain bread to round out the meal.  For dessert I served Martha’s brownies and made blueberry Yonana “ice cream” using my Yonanas machine. 
Chocolate Chunk Brownies   Yield:  48 brownies
Ingredients:
3 sticks unsalted butter, plus more for the pan
1# 2 oz. bittersweet chocolate (left whole)
¾ # bittersweet chocolate, cut into small chunks (2 ½ C)
41/2 C sugar
9 large eggs, lightly beaten
¾ C unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
1 ½ t salt
1 ¾ C plus 2T all-purpose flour, sifted
Directions:
1.      Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Butter a 12 x 17 x 1” rimmed baking sheet, and line with parchment, leaving an overhang folded over edges.  Butter the parchment also.
2.      Melt butter and uncut chocolate in a large bowl set over a pot of simmering water.  Stir until smooth.  Remove from heat.
3.      Whish in sugar, then eggs, then cocoa powder and salt. 
4.      Fold in flour until just combined. 
5.      Fold in chocolate chunks.
6.      Pour batter into pan. 
7.      Bake, rotating halfway through, until a toothpick inserted into center comes out with very moist crumbs, 45-48 minutes. 
8.      Let cool completely, about 2 hours. 
9.      Remove from pan, and cut into 2” squares. 
Yes, this makes a lot of brownies. Martha put them in little cups (I have those cups packed somewhere) and put whipped cream on top with neon sanding sugar sprinkled over as part of a party celebration.  Like I said, I served the “Yonanas ice cream.”  Go to www.yonanas.com if interested in this gadget.  

No comments:

Post a Comment