Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Salmon with Spinach Fettuccine


Tonight I used a cookbook, I bought in Alaska.  I found it very interesting.  I often find myself looking down on canned or frozen foods.  But in Alaska, it is probably necessary.  Also in today’s paper they pointed out that using canned meat and frozen vegetables is a way to save money. 
Ingredients:
1-15.5 oz can salmon
Milk (under 1 ¾ c, see directions)
1 1/2 C mushrooms, sliced (I bought too many portabella mushrooms for the pizza, so I used them)
3 T butter
¼ C flour
¼ C white wine
¼ C Parmesan cheese, grated
2 T minced dried parsley
1 t dried dill weed
Salt and pepper
¾ # spinach fettuccine noodles, cooked and drained
Directions:
1.      Drain salmon, reserving liquid; break into large chunks.
2.      Add milk to reserved liquid to measure 1 ¾ C.
3.      Sauté onion and mushrooms in butter until onion is tender. 
4.      Add flour; cook and stir on low heat until blended.  Remove from heat; add milk mixture and wine.  Heat and stir until mixture comes to a boil; simmer 2 minutes or until thickened. 
5.      Carefully stir in salmon, Parmesan cheese, parsley and dill. 
6.      Season with salt and pepper to taste.
7.      Serve over hot spinach fettuccine. 
This meal serves 6.  I cooked ½ # of fettuccine and saved ¼ of the sauce.  This more than filled Jim and I feel that as a side, we can use the leftover with another meal.  Whether you are into saving money or not, this was very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment