Sunday, November 6, 2011

Pan-Steamed Caulifloer with Pasta


The night we had the shrimp pizza I offered to make it or cauliflower pasta.  Jim looked at me like I was insane and we had the pizza.  Three nights later I was feeling better and I made the following pasta.  I got this recipe from Wegman’s magazine, so we had to improvise in this Wegmans free zone.  I will tell you the alternates I used. 
Ingredients:
1- 17.6 oz Italian Classics Barilotti, cooked per pkg directions (I used a rigatoni pasta, but you could also use a spiral pasta) 
½ C Panko bread crumbs
 2 T + ¼ C EVOO
½ C Pecorino Romano cheese
1T chopped garlic
3 anchovy fillets
½ T Chinese hot sauce
2 # cauliflower, trimmed and cut into 1” pieces
½ C water
1 t salt
2 T chopped fresh parsley (I was out so I used dry)
Black pepper
Directions:
1.       Put pasta pot on the burner.  Add salt to the water and cook the pasta. 
2.       Combine panko and 2 T EVOO in a small bowl.  Toast in a small pan stirring constantly about 3-4 minutes.  Transfer to a small bowl and let cool.  Toss with grated cheese in the bowl. 
3.       Heat EVOO, garlic, anchovies and hot pepper sauce on med-low.  Cook, stirring, 2-3 minutes, until anchovy fillets are dissolved. 
4.       Raise heat to High.  Add cauliflower, water, and salt.  Cook, stirring occasionally about 10 minutes or until water is evaporated.  Adjust heat so cauliflower does not burn.  Turn off heat.
5.       Add cooked pasta to cauliflower, stir to combine.  Add half of panko/cheese mixture and parsley to pan.  Stir, season to taste with pepper. 
6.       To serve, garnish with remaining panko/cheese mixture.
Jim was surprised at how much he liked this dish.  It was very easy. This ould be a beef or pork side dish or as we had it a one pot meal. 




No comments:

Post a Comment