Friday, April 15, 2011

Quiche

Two weeks to closing. Jim is back from TN. We had Julia Child’s quiche tonight with a few abbreviations of my own. It is the best quiche I have ever tasted.
Ingredients:
3 oz Roquefort
6 oz, cream cheese or cottage cheese (I used Gruyere and goat cheese for the Roquefort and used the remaining Parmesan cheese (unknown quantity) when I measured the cottage cheese.
2 T softened butter
2 T whipping cream
2 eggs
Salt and white pepper
I added:
¾# cooked asparagus and 1 cooked red pepper (These were in my freezer)
Cayenne pepper to taste (I used ½ t salt and 1/8 t of cayenne and black pepper)
½ T minced fresh chives or ½ t minced green onion tops (I used a small amount of white onion)
An 8” partially cooked pastry shell placed on a baking sheet
Directions:
1. Blend the cheese, butter, and cream with a fork, then beat in the eggs.
2. Season to taste and stir in the onion. I then chopped the red pepper and the asparagus while I was Par cooking the pastry.
3. I used a premade Pillsbury pastry. I put it is a quiche pan and baked at 400 degrees for 9 minutes.
4. Then I filled the shell and reduced the heat to 375 degrees and baked for 25 minutes.
I let it cool for 10 minutes and then served with a Blue Slate Riesling Kabinett. This is probably the best quiche I have ever made. I am sure it would be equally as good if you followed the recipe exactly. Julia considers quiche an appetizer. So it serves 6. Jim and I had it for dinner and it was fine.  We are still eating out of the pantry and freezer and refrigerator.  Jim said tonight that he has to use more of the  expensive poop bags for Max as we have no grocery bags. 

No comments:

Post a Comment