Monday, April 18, 2011

Chicken and Mushroom Quesadilla

Still cleaning out that freezer and tonight was the last of the chicken breasts and corn tortillas. I have a new cookbook called” Now Eat this! Diet” by Rocco Dispirito. It is a whole diet plan but I just made his Chicken and Mushroom Quesadilla to use up ingredients. I did not exactly follow the recipe but used it as a guide line. My corn tortillas were very small so I made 4 instead of 2. I also served some guacamole and chips so we have one left over. I added red pepper to the recipe to use it up. Supposed to serve 4. I really believe 4 is right. I had one, Jim had 2 and we have one left over.
Ingredients:
Nonstick cooking spray
1# sliced white button mushrooms
Salt
Pepper
1 T finely chopped shallots
2 T chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
4 (9”) low-cab tortillas, I used 8, 6”.
6 oz. shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
7 oz, cooked shredded skinless breast meat (2 breasts)
1 C jarred tomatillo salsa
Directions:
1. Heat a large nonstick sauté pan over medium heat. When hot, remove it from the stove just while you coat it with cooking spray. Add mushrooms and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook the mushrooms until they are tender, about 6-8 minutes. I also added the shallot and the red pepper at this point. Stir in the parsley at the end. I also added the shredded chicken and the salsa to the mushrooms.
2. I heated my grille over two burners.
3. Lay the tortillas on a work surface. Divided the cheddar cheese between the tortillas.( He used 2 I used 4) Scatter the remaining ingredients that you mixed together on the top and season with salt and pepper. Top with the remaining tortillas.
4. When the grille is hot, spray with the cooking spray. Add the tortillas to the grille. This is very hard. I can’t imagine what it would be like with bigger ones. Cook for about 4 minutes and turn. Flip (good luck) and cook an additional 4 minutes.
They were good, but the tortillas were a little tough.

No comments:

Post a Comment