Saturday, April 7, 2012

Bacon Wrapped Dates Stuffed with Cheese


I’ve been having some issues with my gums.  Yesterday I chose to have all soft food so as not to aggravate the problem.  I got some of the split pea with potato soup (blog a couple weeks ago) out of the freezer.  I decided to make Jim my favorite appetizer to go with the soup.  After all, he was not on the same restrictions.  I learned to make this appetizer in a cooking class in Monteray, CA.   
Ingredients:
12 whole dates
3 oz. Manchego Cheese (Actually I had some apricot cheddar form Trader Jo I wanted to use up)
12 slices of lean bacon (I always recommend that you do not use thick slice.  It is all I had, so I just used 6 slices cut in half.)
Kosher Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Directions:
1.      These can be broiled indoors or outdoors on your grill. 
2.      Slice the dates lengthwise just deep enough so that you can pull out the pits with your fingers.  Discard the pit.
3.      Cut cheese into sticks to fit in the dates.  Tuck some cheese inside each date, pressing to enclose the cheese.
4.      Wrap a slice of bacon around each date.  Secure with a toothpick.
5.      Season with salt and pepper.
6.      Grill or broil turning as needed, until the bacon is cooked through and crisp, about 10 minutes. 
Serve warm or at room temperature.  My wisdom tooth was pulled this AM , so don’t expect much out of me for a couple of days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment